8.06.2011

How to Raise $3,000 in a $23 Outfit

You know how people get honorary college degrees and stuff? I haven't gotten one, but I'm kind of like an honorary member of the Interior Design Society Texas Hill Country Chapter. The president appointed me on Thursday night.

I've spoken to this group twice, most recently last month. Somehow, my name came up as the person to auctioneer their charity event. I don't think this skill set is listed anywhere on my Put Me to Work page. File it under other duties as assigned.

No, I didn't do the "fast talk". Despite that, I did manage to create a couple of bidding wars!

The temperatures here in central Texas have been consistently hovering around 100-and-close-to-burning-in-hell so picking the ideal outfit was just as important as figuring out how to fulfill my job duties. I looked at it this way: if I'm a total bomb, I better at least look like a bombshell. Or the equivalent. Whatever that may be.

Choosing accessories can literally determine if I'm going to arrive somewhere 15 minutes early or 10 minutes late. I've learned now that this part of getting dressed slows me down. Partly because of my mild-to-moderate OCD which makes me try on at least three different pairs of earrings and two different bracelet combos.

My neighbor friend Jamie started tinkering and launched Jewelry by Jamille. Everything is handmade. When she had her first trunk show I was flat broke and couldn't buy anything. When she had another one, I was less broke and came home with these beauties:

JewelrybyJamille.com

This was my first time wearing them and they were perfect, very light weight and comfortable.
Definitely a statement piece.


My photogs haven't quite mastered the full-body shot, but I'm sure we'll eventually get there.


Here's the complete outfit minus me. I really wanted you to see the contrasting hem on the dress:

Maxi dress and Steve Madden sandals from Ross
 Black maxi dress, $7.99; Steve Madden sandals, $12.99

Ross Shopping Pro Tip: the price of shoes are written on the bottom, rounded to the nearest dollar.


I bought these when gladiators were all the rage. I don't like the gladiator look that comes all the way up your ankle. Ross is my go-to place for keeping up with trends without going broker.

OUTFIT GRAND TOTAL: $22.71

That's 3Xs cheaper than this dress alone:

Camille maxi at soma.com $75


Here I am with my friend and fellow speaker Evelina Solis. She's a certified life coach, radio personality, and co-hosts a tv show. She was recently a spokesperson for Macy's National Hispanic Heritage Campaign.

I can truly say losing my live-auction auctioneer virginity was a huge success. Every item donated was sold and we raised just under $3,000 (in a few short hours) to go toward the makeover project for SafePlace.

There are so many ways to get involved and make a difference in your community.

Moral of the Story: Spend Less. Give More.

Guess what?! Due to the overwhelming response to this post, I started a personal style blog. But it's not just any personal style blog. Go on..click here to check it out!


13 comments:

  1. Only $22.71 to look like a million bucks? YOU GO GIRL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. HollyLouYerrr!! And tax is included in that price!

    ReplyDelete
  3. CoffeeLovinMom8/07/2011

    That's awesome and so is this Disqus - how do I get me some?
    You rock the outfits, I'm glad I don't have to dress for work anymore..
    Glad to see you blogging more!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I admire a smart shopper! I just got a steal at Ross yesterday... cute little summer dress for $10. LOVE that. Love the earrings, too. I have a friend who makes beautiful jewelry. She has no faith in her ability, however, and doesn't really pursue it. I hate to see talent wasted!
    Glad you found me so I could find you!
    b

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amberr Meadows8/07/2011

    Every post makes me respect and admire your shopping savvy even more than before. $22 to look that amazing? Mindboggling. People talk about good deals they get, but you get the BEST ones.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm really diggin' my Disqus too...@Mommymonologues told me about it.

    Thanks girlie..I love me some discount stores, and clearance items, and sales & stuff! I actually enjoy dressing for work more now because I don't have to do it every day and when I do, I'm heading out to do something I love.

    ReplyDelete
  7. If one had the means, they could find a steal at Ross DAILY! And the summer dresses are always a sure thing..lots of different styles to choose from.

    I think it's official - we're mutually excited we found each other!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awww..thank you, Amberr. I do get my fair share of dirty looks when women are talking about how much they spend and then I chime in talking about how much I save..it's kinda like being a reverse snob. Whatever.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Evelina Solis8/08/2011

    Donna,
    I love your take on fashion! With as many public appearances we have to make, I am on the same page about affordable fashion. Thank you for these money saving tips! You definitely were a bombshell that night and the best auctioneer I have ever heard =)! Your humor and charisma filled the room at the charity event. You had people dumping out the last penny they had in their pocket for Safeplace. Keep up the amazing work you do for our community!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Absolutely..the more work you get - the more clothes you need! Thanks for the compliments..I had a great time for a truly worthy cause.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love, love, love it!! Donna, you rock!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. stesha8/08/2011

    So - do I have to fly to Texas because I need to have you as my personal shopper... ASAP! Your finds are awesome. Love that haircut too!

    Hugs and Mocha,
    Stesha

    ReplyDelete
  13. If that's what it's gonna take to get you here - then YES!

    ReplyDelete

Share Your Thoughts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...