8.30.2011

Victoria's Secret: Customer Experience and Word-of-Mouth

Saturday I hung out with my BFF Chris and two of her friends at happy hour. This looks like it has the potential to become a regular monthly routine.

I'm sure the good folks over at Kona Grill in The Domain don't mind as long as we're throwing back margaritas, wine, and every appetizer on the reduced price happy hour menu.

When it was time to go, Chris announced she had to head over to the Apple store. Perfect. We could walk together since I had to stop in Victoria's Secret which is before you get to Apple. As we were walking, I told her I was redeeming my free panties coupon. Chris being the saver she is wanted to know how I got it.

They mailed it to me. Somehow I'm on their list. Baffles me since I never shop there. Other than using my annual free panty coupon. I did buy a bra in Vegas, so maybe I gave them my mailing address at that time. No, that can't be the case because before I even went to Vegas I was receiving their catalogs in the mail. The ones with real clothes that you wear on top of their thongs, bras, and panties.

That reminds me. I haven't received one in ages. Not that I bought anything anyway, but I really liked looking at the pictures. Not of the women in thongs, bras, and panties. But of the clothes they wore over them.

We walked in on the Pink side of the store. Two employees were standing in the doorway leading to the un-Pink side. They didn't miss a beat with their conversation which had to have been personal because when I said excuse me so we could pass through, they looked up and said, "that's ok...", and kept talking.

Maybe there's a rule that employees working on the Pink side can't greet folks who are going to the un-Pink side.

I found a young lady and told her I was looking for hipsters. She led me back to the Pink side, rattled off something about the sizes on top and others in the drawers and then she left. Chris commented that she'd spoken so fast she didn't understand a word she said. Obviously, I didn't either because I started looking around for someone else to help me. 

This time I tell the employee - a different one from "Speed Talker" - that I had a coupon for free panties. She asked to see it and took me back to the un-Pink side. Turns out my coupon wasn't for hipsters. It was for hiphuggers. My bad.

She pointed to at least three different tables and pretty much said, "help yourself", and proceeded to walk off.

Not so fast Missy...I have a question. I didn't say that, but I was thinking it. As she tried to scurry past me, I asked another question. She answered and started to walk away again. 

Ok...was Hurricane Irene scheduled to make landfall in the bustier section and she was in charge of evacuations?

Oh - I forgot this part. In between answering on the run, she did manage to ask if I also had the other coupon to get $10 off. Turns out, she's a master at the upsell but lacks basic customer service skills.

Do you honestly think I want to give you my money when you can't even give me your time?!

Me: Um...do you have better things to do other than help me?!

Her: Oh...no, I didn't know you had more questions.

Me: You can't know if you walk away before I can even ask!

Her: Oh..I'm sorry. It's just that I have to get back to the register. 

Please enter into evidence Exhibit A. Exhibit A is the register. There are already three people behind the counter and NO ONE IN LINE!!

At some point during this fiasco, Chris leaves. When I get to my computer, I have a Facebook post on my wall telling me to look at her status update.

Please enter into evidence Exhibit B. Exhibit B is an example of the kind of word-of-mouth you don't want for your company:
Just watched Donna give the customer service smack DOWN in Victoria's Secret!! Don't mess with the lady, friends!

Please. Treat me like I matter even if  I'm only coming in to buy free panties.


photo: Steve Rhodes

14 comments:

  1. Lady Bren8/30/2011

    OHH I hate it when the employees are rude like that. i regularly let mgmt know when I'm being treated like a burden reminding them that I do have money to spend

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes...that's exactly what i felt like...a burden.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous8/31/2011

    I think it was the VS store that you visited. I usually shop the South Jersey stores at least once a month (various stores) and I have to tell the salesgirls that I'm doing ok and I don't need help. By the way, the girls on the PINK side tend to be a lot younger. The PINK line generally is marketed to a younger audience. In the future, maybe try another location and go in on the VS side not PINK.

    ReplyDelete
  4. the following comment was left on 8/31/11. it is showing in my administrator view, but did not get published publicly due to a technical glitch.

    "I think it was the VS store that you visited. I usually shop the South Jersey stores at least once a month (various stores) and I have to tell the salesgirls that I'm doing ok and I don't need help. By the way, the girls on the PINK side tend to be younger. The PINK line is generally marketed to a younger audience. In the future, maybe try another location and go in on the VS side not PINK." ~Anonymous

    ReplyDelete
  5. taylor kelly8/31/2011

    Kudos. I remember the good old days when Customer Service was the norm and the pride of staff. I even remember - dare I say it, when the customer was always right. I seek out owner operator places whenever I can as they CARE and still operate with customer service (or do not operate for long) The mystery ot me is even if you are still making minumum wage and you are not going to get owner profit - don"t you value yourself as an asset enough to work hard at being your best with the best service possible.
    Everyone should read some good old Mary Kay philopsophy and apply!!!! Golden Rule service it the success way

    ReplyDelete
  6. nfende8/31/2011

    I'm with Taylor below - if nothing else have some pride in your job. I remember my first minimum wage job as a banquet worker. Its like being a waitress with no tips, yet I still busted my butt trying to service people.

    Regarding Anonymous - if it matters which door I go in, or the age of the employee (or my age since I haven't seen my teens in quite some time) then I simply will not shop there.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hate when employees are so rude. It make me uncomfortable and I don't like like to shop in a negative atmosphere. Most of the time, I won't go back. I've always hear that word of mouth is the best advertisment, be it good or bad. If you treat someone well and do a good job, they might tell a few friends. If you are rude, do a bad job, etc., they'll tell everyone about it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. i have to agree with you in that mom-and-pop places tend to treat customers better, although Target tops the list in my opinion for big companies.

    ReplyDelete
  9. bless your heart...a waitress with no tips?!

    i knew someone was gonna say it - should it really matter what door i go through when all of your money is being spent under their roof!?

    ReplyDelete
  10. well said, Ashley! thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well done, Donna! One of the biggest problems I see in retail in general is that many of the sales staff are mostly young adults under the age of 22 and they're usually supervised by someone just as young. At this age most of them are much more interested in talking about their love life, the latest app or trying on the clothes they're selling! It's annoying.

    ReplyDelete
  12. outburst!! you said, "the latest app" - now that's a good one! some retail staff do view their roles as that of a socialite-on-the-clock vs. paid employee. you don't have to deal with such issues when shopping online.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Donna excellent customer service seems to be a myth at our local VS. The ladies who work there are always rude. If they are assisting you, it's because you basically had to beg and cause a scene. Kudos to you for writing about this.

    Hugs and Mocha,
    Stesha

    ReplyDelete
  14. the following comment was left on 9/4/11. it's showing in administrator view, but did not get published due to a technical glitch:

    "Donna excellent customer service seems to be a myth at our local VS. The ladies who work there are always rude. If they are assisting you, it's because you basically had to beg and cause a scene. Kudos to you for writing about this. Hugs and Mocha, Stesha"
    http://hotchocolatecaramelmocha.com/

    ReplyDelete

Share Your Thoughts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...