8.15.2011

How to Save $932 in 180 Days

This is an actual photo taken inside of my new car insurance company's office.

Fred Loya Insurance. It says it right there on the wall above the printer. And on the sign in redish letters.

My ex-company is Nationwide. My relationship with them started in 2005 when I broke up with State Farm.


It was an arranged situation..I was born into it. The divorce almost killed my mama.

ADVERTISING SUCKED ME IN

This is one of those rare instances when tv commercials really work on me. I kept seeing the ads where "real customers" were talking about how much they'd saved by switching to Fred Loya. Big bucks. No whammies.

I'm not filling out a bunch of paperwork and answering a bunch of questions to save $4.16 per month. The financial gurus will try to make it look more appealing by putting a larger number in front of you. Multiply $4.16 by 6 and let me know what you come up with.

THAT VOICE AGAIN

On my way home one morning from doing errands, it spoke to me and said, "Stop and go inside...in Fred Loya...you've been saying you were...you're almost right by it...TURN LEFT NOW!" That's not verbatim, but the conversations between us are always pretty much the same.

It starts off quiet and subtle. I try to ignore it. And then it gets all loud and aggressive.

LESS THAN 15 MINUTES BUT THEY AREN'T GEICO

Never quite understood why Geico tried to sell you on their process taking less than 15 minutes. Maybe because of the reasons I stated above regarding paperwork and interrogation. If Fred had tried to lure me in with real customers attesting to how quick the process was vs. putting at least a thousand dollars in savings in my face, I would've hit mute on the voice and went on about my business. The business of being policy raped by Nationwide.

Getting a printed quote - explained and highlighted in detail - was fast and painless. For once, I actually understood what I was getting.

DIFFERENCES AND LOSSES

I compromised on three things in order to get the savings:
  • higher deductible (went from $500 to $1000) 
  • no personal injury protection (PIP)
  • no roadside assistance (cost me $3.33/month with Nationwide - this I'm gonna miss)
I have less bodily injury and uninsured motorist body injury protection. The property damage and uninsured motorist property damage coverage are the same.

Total savings: $155.33 per month

DATING UNTIL 2012

My policy expires in February 2012. Fred and I are going steady until then. When our six months are up, I'll weigh my options and decide on marriage. Until then - I belong to him. I have the papers to prove it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share Your Thoughts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...