12.18.2010

Don't Lose Your Voice


Yeah, the picture is a bit graphic but you get the point don't you? This is how some people would like to see us - unable to speak and without a voice.

An interesting thing happened this week on air during my radio show. I made a comment that offended some listeners and they didn't waste time calling in to let me know. We were talking about the man in Florida who went into the school board meeting and started shooting. He didn't injure anyone, but was shot by security and then turned the gun on himself. His wife later made a statement saying he was bipolar. I said he was crazy.

I brought up the fact that so many criminals are now using bipolar disorder as a reason for "snapping" and breaking the law. By no means was I grouping everyone with a mental illness in this category. The category with crazy criminals.

SELECTIVE HEARING

Some listeners took my comment totally out of context and said I was making light of a very serious situation. Not true at all. They heard what they wanted to hear and drew their own conclusions. Has this ever happened to you?


DIFFERENCES IN PERCECPTION

Other listeners called in to say they understood my point and felt the same way. That anyone who went into a board room with a loaded gun was crazy. One caller even went so far as to tell me live on air that he was calling to give me an opportunity to retract what I said. Huh? Seriously?

This kind of thing happens all the time with celebrities and public figures. They make a statement, a group gets pissed off, and then they're bullied into apologizing. Well let me tell you something: it ain't happening here. I said what I meant and I meant what I said. I politely (in the most stern way I possibly could) told the listener I respected his opinion and point of view and all I ask is that he respect mine. Respecting and agreeing are two completely different things.

DON'T BE SILENCED

I'm on the radio and I write to have a voice. A voice that's mine. A voice that won't be manipulated and controlled by people who take things way too seriously and misconstrue my message.

Don't allow anyone to take your voice. Don't allow anyone to put words in your mouth. You have the right to speak your mind. Having said that, you don't have the right to disrespect the person next to you. Healthy debate is a good thing. The world would be a boring place if we all believed the same thing and communicated the same way.

Be your authentic self. Just know when you do, you'll sometimes be misunderstood.

Photo credit: izthistaken

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share Your Thoughts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...