7.11.2011

Views from The Crackhouse


This is my cubicle today, right now as I type this blog post. It's a well known coffee shop. I affectionately refer to it as The Crackhouse.

Why? Internet service at Headquarters has been disconnected. No, not due to technical difficulties, but financial difficulties. They send a technician out for one. Not the other.

Someone is going to read this and relate to it. They'll appreciate my honesty and see themselves having been in a similar situation. Someone else will read this and be judgmental. They'll determine what they think about me as a person based solely on this. They'll have all kinds of unsolicited advice. Much of which will equate to, "Get a job!".

Let me share a little secret with you: I know people with TWO jobs who can't pay their bills!


DOWNWARD SPIRAL

There are over 14 million unemployed Americans. There were 18,000 jobs created in June. The math is simple. Sad, yet simple.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. I'm not trying to get folks to abandon their job search. I want people to realize job creation isn't the answer. And it never will be.  The individuals who survive this "new economy" will be those who create their own opportunities. They need information, resources, and support in order to do so. 

Not everyone is cut out to be their own boss. We need worker bees to make the world go 'round. The problem is that companies are phasing out humans and using technology in their places. End result: lower paying positions which leads to under-employment and survival jobs just so they can eat. Not to get by or get ahead. But to provide basic necessities.

STOP SAYING YOU'RE FINE

Mel Robbins wrote the book. Seriously. It's the name of her book. In other words, stop lying about what's going on in your life. I can't tell you the number of times I've been at a networking event with women and everyone is doing fine...business is booming...more clients than they can handle...ready to bring on employees.

When they corner me alone, I get the real low down. They're struggling. Going back and forth with going back to work or forging ahead on their entrepreneurial journey.

If Katy Perry's car was repossessed before she was 'Katy Perry' why the hell should I walk around with my head hanging down because my internet was cut off? Tyler Perry slept in his car. He was homeless. We all know how that story ended. 

When I watched Pursuit of Happyness yesterday, I reflected on a statement Chris Gardner made. He summed up his internship as, "no salary...not even a reasonable promise of a job." I guess I'm sort of interning for myself right now. Despite the overwhelming obstacles he faced, he kept going. Doing whatever he had to do along the way. This movie has to be the best portrayal of real life I've ever seen. Mr. Gardner's success didn't come as a result of him buying a high-priced info product or by going on an exclusive member only six figure retreat. It came the way it should. By staying the course. Even when it didn't make sense to anyone else. He kept going.

PLAN B

For the average person, it might be to start a business - maybe. My Plan B is going to work for someone else - on a part time basis. As long as I'm not asking you to pay my bills, don't question why.

Several times a week I come across an article written by an expert telling people to close up shop if they aren't making any money. Trying to convince them that their business isn't a real business - it's a money sucking hobby. 

What. The Hell. Ever!

Didn't we learn a thing or two about armchair quarterbacking from the Casey Anthony trial?!

Work your plan until you can't work it anymore. Explore every possible option in the book. Do not allow yourself or anyone else to define you by your circumstances - past or present. 

If all else fails, feel free to invite the critics to kiss your ass.

15 comments:

  1. LOVE THIS! It is your ability to be so transparent and honest that has caused me to respect you a great deal. Not only as a business owner but as a woman and mother.

    I agree totally with the message here, and in my own past have abandoned my ideas & dreams because things didn't click fast enough or didn't bring in the income I had hoped.

    I have always said every great business & every great relationship has a story. And this is just a part of yours. There is a test in every testimony.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @CassiusBlueCo - thank you. I appreciate and reciprocate the respect. I've had enough of this "fake it til you make it" crap. Remember - you can always hit undo..it's never too late to try again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel you Donna. As an "unemployed entrepreneur" myself I have had to resort to getting some part time hustles until the full time hustle has been fully manifested but I have not given up on the dream. Hold fast to what you believe Donna and it might be a little bumpy for a minute however you will be successful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Janice - thanks for the encouraging words. I met some young ladies last night who are trying to launch an online magazine. One admitted that she felt like giving up. I immediately told her that wasn't an option...you can take a break, but don't be so quick to throw in the towel.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Donna - I'm working/riding my plans until the wheels fall off and the rims won't roll!

    Hugs and Mocha,
    Stesha

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's what I'm talking about, Stesha! If the wheels do fall off, we'll ride the bus!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Keep moving...straight ahead. And don't look back, because everybody's got an opinion, but they don't get a vote. Some people want to run other folks' lives because it requires less work on their part than running their own.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Donna I admire your spirit. Your comment about the economy is spot on. Even having a traditional 9 to 5 job today is no guarantee for tomorrow.

    Have you tried LinkedIn? Couldn't find you there. Great place to network and find potential biz leads.

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Nicole - thank you. No matter what happens, I choose to not feel like a hopeless victim. I'm on LinkdIn..I'll connect with you there.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so glad to have found you, Donna! I adore your openness, spirit and I so needed to hear a lot of what you've said here... including "As long as I'm not asking you to pay my bills, don't question why."

    ReplyDelete
  11. @Tori - who would've thought #emmit would be the one to unite us..gotta thank Nicole Fende for tweeting about your chat! Thanks for the kind words and glad you could relate.

    ReplyDelete
  12. @Tori - who would've thought #emmit would be the one to unite us..gotta thank Nicole Fende for tweeting about your chat! Thanks for the kind words and glad you could relate.

    ReplyDelete
  13. @Nicole - thank you. No matter what happens, I choose to not feel like a hopeless victim. I'm on LinkdIn..I'll connect with you there.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm 52 and just yesterday I applied at my local Costco. I kind of more than a little understand, and at the same time, needed this post. Thanks! Thanks Tori for the pointer :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. iHiredMe8/01/2011

    Wishing you all the best and hope Costco comes through for you. Explore every possible option you have, Dave. I appreciate you taking the time to share a piece of your story..thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Share Your Thoughts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...