12.25.2010

The Face of Christmas

On December 21st, KXAN aired a segment asking the community to help support the Christmas Bureau of Austin. At that time, there were 1,800 families still in need of sponsors. Families with kids who may not have presents to open today - something I never experienced as a child and neither have my children. Even in the toughest of times, there was going to be something under the tree and a good hot meal on the table.
Not only was the Bureau in need of gifts and monetary donations, they also needed volunteers to help wrap the gifts. I didn't think twice about donating my time.

The experience I had was far more valuable than writing a check. When the little girl in the picture saw that bike, the look on her and her mother's face was priceless. I asked her mom's permission to take the picture and to give the baby a hug. That's something you can't box and unwrap no matter how hard you try. Shon Washington, the charity's Assistant Director, stopped what he was doing (and believe me, there was alot going on), got his toolbox, and adjusted the bike seat for the little girl. By the time she and and her mom left, the baby couldn't help but cry - tears of joy, of course.

This is just one of the many hearts touched by the city's outpouring of generosity. Thank you to the entire Christmas Bureau of Austin team and all of the families who were served for making Christmas 2010 one to remember.

And now, I want to thank you for giving me the gift of your time. Thank you for the comments, the laughs, and for the encouragement. Merry Christmas.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Share Your Thoughts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...