12.30.2010

Over-Saving and Extreme Couponing



This post was already in the works before I caught last night's episode of Extreme Couponing on TLC. Did you miss it? You can catch it again on January 4.

Once the official Christmas shopping season comes to an end, a new season emerges and lingers on well into January of the new year. It's called the after-Christmas retail challenge in the retail industry. Consumers scramble to make exchanges, get refunds, and redeem gift cards.

I received a little over $100 worth of restaurant gift cards for Christmas and didn't waste any time using them. Thanks friends and family! On Monday evening, The Girl and I headed to Olive Garden for some "mother-daughter quality time". She ordered her usual Ravioli di Portobello and I opted to try something new (my restaurant gift card ritual) and settled on Shrimp & Crab Tortelli Romana. It's not often I leave a restaurant without a doggy bag, but this was one of the rare occasions.

Before we left the house, I did what I always do - checked my coupon drawer for money saving coupons. There was a good chance I didn't have any, as eating out is at a snail's pace in The Unemployed Entrepreneur® household. Never to worry though. I knew I was merely a Google search and mouse click away from the jackpot.



Seconds after I typed "olive garden coupon" in the search field, the following was at my disposal:


Go ahead...print, clip, and enjoy. All I ask is when you order, try something new.


$0.17 MEAL FOR TWO

Yes, you read it right. Thanks to a $25 gift card and a $5 off coupon we dined for less than 25 cents. Did it cost me a ton of time and effort? Nope. Coupon clipping and discount shopping are second nature to me. It's a part of my lifestyle.


COUPON CHALLENGE

While I'm not ready to compete with the pros on Extreme Couponing, others seem to think differently. My friend and OSEC of Austin member Stefanie Spells hit me on Facebook this morning telling me she saw the show and immediately thought of me. I'm flattered to say the least.

Will you see The Unemployed Entrpreneur® on TLC anytime soon? I doubt it, but Extreme Couponing and support from Stefanie and The Girl gave me a much needed boost of coupon-clipping confidence. I'm looking forward to seeing how much I can save in 2011.

Coupon party anyone?!





Dine in photo credit: aesterling

Coupon photo credit: Mandy_Jansen

4 comments:

  1. Love a good coupon deal and avoiding paying full price as often as possible! Hope to cut my grocery spending this year but don't see myself in the realm as those Extreme Couponers. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen Darlene! Saving is a hobby more people should indulge in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love a good coupon deal and avoiding paying full price as often as possible! Hope to cut my grocery spending this year but don't see myself in the realm as those Extreme Couponers. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amen Darlene! Saving is a hobby more people should indulge in.

    ReplyDelete

Share Your Thoughts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...