7.29.2010

How to Get Your Media, Guest Blog, and Any Other Request Ignored

I do my best not to feed into strict, concrete rules of engagement when it comes to advising you on certain things. I believe there are certain rules that should be followed in certain situations, but by no means do I advocate experts who have a "my way or the highway" style of leading and coaching.

Opened up my inbox today to find an email from an organization asking me to post one of their blogs here on my blog. This isn't the first time this particular individual has contacted me asking to have one of their posts featured. I did today what I've done in the past - read and delete.


Why? They completely went about it the wrong way.

Mistake #1: The subject line of the email was "The Unemployed Entrepreneur". Yep, that's me...now what?

Mistake #2: The email salutation read "Hi,". So I'm no longer The Unemployed Entrepreneur® or even Donna for that mattter. I've either been reduced to a single character or my new name is Comma and she decided to abbreviate it.

Mistake #3: The first sentence of the first and only paragraph started off with, "I'm a big fan of your blog and have enjoyed reading all the great content since I stumbled across it a while back."
Really? Stop pulling my leg!

Mistake #4: The entire email was full of formatting and punctuation errors. If this is what your email to me looks like, why should I take the time to even consider looking at the link to the post you sent? 

Mistake #5: Every time you've emailed me, you've sent the same crappy email...with the exception of changing the link to the post you think "my readers would get alot out of reading". You've just blown your third or fourth attempt at making a good first impression.

Deep down in my heart, I know you are far too intelligent for me to have to put together a list of things you should do to avoid making the same mistakes as the genius I'm referring to above. If you're ever in doubt, just do the opposite of what she did.



Photo credit: Bob.Fornal

8 comments:

  1. Funny, but sad. Hopefully a wake up call for those that might be considering blasting a form email out to get their blog posted or ask for a referral.

    In essence they're asking you to transfer to them the trust and good will you've worked so hard to develop and have the responsibility of guarding.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bill -

    I couldn't have said it better myself! That is exactly what they're asking us to do and it's time for them to stop or get it right.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have received those types of emails as well. I delete also!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Donna,

    I just discovered your blog, and I think it is refreshing and spot on. To be honest with you, I am laughing out loud (LOL) because I can clearly hear your voice in this post. You remind me of someone ( ME) straight forward, clear and no non-sense. It is amazing, and I think it is something we all need to hear.

    I plan to use you as a reference with some of my clients.They will love it.

    Keep it coming!

    Nikki Curry

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Nikki!

    Nice to meet you and thanks for the compliments on my blog AND for subscribing. :) Isn't it amazing how things like this can bring like-minded people together who otherwise may not have the opportunity to connect?!

    Please let me know what I can do to contribute to you and your clients success...there's enough for everybody and giving is what I love to do!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous8/10/2010

    Donna,
    This is a great article to read. It summarizes some of my email errors. I promise not to send you anymore request to list my venue on your blog. Lol.

    I will definitely enjoy receiving and reading your newsletter. Thanks for looking us up!

    Theresa Campos

    ReplyDelete
  7. Theresa,

    You are funny! You know I love getting emails from you and Holiday Inn Midtown. Glad you enjoyed the post and thanks for taking the time to join the community and engage.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Funny, but sad. Hopefully a wake up call for those that might be considering blasting a form email out to get their blog posted or ask for a referral.

    In essence they're asking you to transfer to them the trust and good will you've worked so hard to develop and have the responsibility of guarding.

    ReplyDelete

Share Your Thoughts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...