7.24.2011

Mama Knows Best...You Should Know Better

As I sit here at the kitchen table, I keep reflecting on a comment my friend Zara made on her Facebook page recently. It's not verbatim, but it boiled down to her saying we should let go of some of the beliefs our parents ingrained in us and adopt our own. Neither one of us could remember the context in which she said it, so I'm going to give you an example of how it relates to me.

Sunday dinner was a big thing when I was growing up. My mama would ask the day before what I wanted and that's what she'd cook. It was never anything simple. That's not how traditional Sunday dinners are supposed to be. Often times it consisted of something freshly picked from a friend's garden and was the epitome of southern soul food. Alot like what my dinner is today. 

I seasoned the pork chops and turkey wings last night. Sundays are reserved for two meats, a green vegetable, a starch, and a wildcard side dish (but not a starch because double starches are a sin). Even if it's the hottest day of summer, you have to turn the oven on because dinner ain't complete without cornbread.

Did you know if you drop a fork on the floor while you're cooking, it means someone is gonna show up unexpectedly...hungry?! Heaven help you if you don't have enough to feed them! 

The turkey wings are in the crockpot and the chops are still resting in the fridge. It's not time to cook those yet because everything has to be ready and hot - at the same time. No microwaves on Sunday unless you're warming up seconds. The hand-selected cabbage from the produce section at Wal-Mart is prepped and will be last on the stove. Overcooking makes it mushy and you lose all the nutrients.

The Zatarain's Dirty Rice counts as a starch. Even though you add ground beef, it's not a third meat. The only prepackaged thing mama cooked on Sunday was Corn-Kits cornbread. She never could quite learn from her mama how to make it from scratch. And by the way, Jiffy ain't real cornbread because cornbread ain't supposed to be sweet. I've been rebellious my whole life so I add sugar and melted butter to mine.

One time mama called and asked what I was cooking. I said tacos. She said, "Tacos on a Sunday? That's a Friday or Saturday meal". She didn't give me a chance to tell her I was making boxed spanish rice and the lettuce and tomatoes counted as vegetables. Not garden fresh, but fresh enough and I had cut them myself.  She obviously missed the memo that my generation doesn't go near the stove on the weekend and if we do, there's a good chance whatever we're preparing contains chopped and frozen onions, celery, and bell peppers.  

About eleven years ago I hosted my first Thanksgiving dinner. My friend Charlene told me to serve mushrooms. She said put them in the oven and add steak seasoning and they'd taste just like steak. My niece hasn't stopped asking for them since. I wish she was here today because it ain't nowhere near the fourth Thursday in November and I'm getting real fancy. Adding sweet golden tomatoes and red onions, cooking them on top of the stove.


I continue to evolve as an individual and as a cook. I still heed what mama says, both in and out of the kitchen, but part of the wisdom she imparted on me is knowing when to lean on her teachings and when it's best to embrace and apply my own.

6 comments:

  1. Okay, I'm hungry! :-) I still can't remember the context, but all of us have learned from our parents/guardians...what to do and what not to do, and we all need to at some point expand that learning.

    I enjoy reading your posts, Donna. Such easy reading of real life with examples of how to do better. Keep them coming!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's still plenty of leftovers, Zara! And thank you for sparking meaningful dialogue to make us all stop and think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My husband and I were just talking to the kids this morning about taking the life lessons that we teach them and expand on them. Sprinkle yourself into it. Awesome post, Donna!

    Hugs and Mocha,
    Stesha

    ReplyDelete
  4. Indeed Stesha..we have to lay the foundation and equip them with what they need in order to think for themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That plate looks like something my granny would have whipped up, so I know it had to be delicious. Makes my stomach growl. Great blog!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amberr - girl - my older sister just told me not too long ago I cook like my grandma! The Boy told me the next day it was the best dinner I'd ever cooked in the whole world...bless his heart. If one of your escapades leads you this way, I'll leave the light on for ya!

    ReplyDelete

Share Your Thoughts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...