3.31.2010

Don’t Retool - Reinvent for a Better Future

I had the privilege of speaking to a large group of unemployed professionals last year and the talk was centered around reinvention. I decided that now is a good time to bring this to light again since the U.S. is still facing record high numbers of unemployment.

The word “retool” has been thrown around in panel discussions and interviews with corporate CEO’s (President Obama has even referenced it a time or two) who offer advice to out of work Americans. For most people, this isn’t about updating or improving – it’s about starting over.


The message I delivered to my audience resonated with them because I opened up and shared my personal story – a story that closely mirrored their current situation. I talked about being laid off twice within one year (to no fault of my own) and the uncertainty I felt when I didn’t have a job. But despite those things, I looked at that time in my life as an opportunity to renew myself and follow my dreams. Thus, DonnaSpeaks.com was born and here I am today as The Unemployed Entrepreneur™. Never again would I be faced with having all my eggs in one basket by having only one source of income.

reinvent (v): to make over completely; to recast something familiar or old into a different form

I’d always known my life’s purpose extended far beyond the titles others had given me. I have gifts and talents that are meant to be shared with all who desire to reach their greatness and live out their missions. It is my resilience that has kept me going. You see, it’s not the obstacles or challenges we face that keep us from succeeding. It’s our inability or unwillingness to learn from those things that allow us to be defeated.

resilience (adj): the ability to recover quickly from illness, change, or misfortune

You have to decide what it is that you want - clearly and vividly. Once you know what that looks like, you then have to get up and take action to get you there. Start your journey knowing that you may not have all the answers and you may have to change direction along the way, but commit to not giving up. Let each experience, both good and bad, serve as a lesson to prepare you for what’s to come.

Reinvention is a never ending process. It’s the daily, on-going pursuit of personal growth and fulfillment – a path that ultimately leads to more rewards and greater responsibilities.



Photo credit: CamilaGama

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share Your Thoughts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...