3.03.2010

The Unemployed Entrepreneur™ Sends a Message to Congress

I wonder if any of the politicians and US citizens complaining about the unemployment insurance extension have ever been without a job and had to apply for benefits? Yeah, I seriously doubt it.

I don’t know if I’m more shocked at Sen. Jim Bunning’s reasons for blocking the extension or his behavior and antics that accompanied his objections.

Here’s what I do know: there are 1.1 million workers with the label “discouraged job seekers”. This number represents those who’ve given up looking for work all together. Not because they’re lazy or enjoy their livelihood being left in the hands of out-of-touch government officials, but because they’ve applied for hundreds of jobs without getting hired.



When you combine the frustration of submitting resumes for positions that barely pay more than what you’re receiving in unemployment insurance with the emotional toll it takes on you to juggle your bills while you rob Peter to pay Paul, that’s enough to make people throw in the towel. How do I know? Because I’ve been there America! This is no way to live.

As for the six-figure hot shots on Capitol Hill who sit comfortably in their glass houses and throw stones, I challenge you to come walk a mile in my shoes. You wouldn’t last.

I had a young lady visit my women’s entrepreneurial group last month who shared her story of how she never envisioned her life being turned upside down due to not having a job. She had to take a job paying $2 more than what she was getting in unemployment because her benefits expired. While you judge and say, “Well, at least she has a job”, don’t forget to take into consideration that with having that $12/hour job she has more expenses now. One gallon of gas costs more than her hourly “raise”.

The solution to the problem is not one that’ll be fixed by passing a jobs bill. It would take creating over 200,000 new jobs per month for the next seven years to get the unemployment rate down to 5%.

People need to be encouraged to create their own opportunities so they don’t have to endure the harsh criticism of Bunning and the like. I’m not saying everyone should become their own boss, but I am saying for the handful of folks who have a desire to start a business there should be resources and support available to them. Money that’s readily available and easy to access like the billions handed over to the banks and Wall Street.

If you’re on Main Street and it’s starting to look more like skid row, please contact me. You have no reason to be embarrassed or ashamed. You have what it takes to make a better life for yourself. It all starts when you decide to take action.

If you’re in Washington and I haven’t stepped on your toes, I’d be happy to sit down and talk to you about real, long-term solutions.


Photo credit: billaday

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share Your Thoughts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...