6.18.2012

Going Out Of Business

There's a locally owned coffee shop I would go to at least once a week if it were closer to Headquarters. I've asked the owner on more than one occasion to open a store in my neighborhood. That's how much I enjoy his place. I'd choose it over The Crackhouse on any given day. 

The owner and I collaborated on a project and shared the spotlight for my first ever live tv interview. Something I'll never forget. 

In March 2012, he announced the closing of one of his stores. Publicly. He sent the information out to his blog subscribers (BTW: his blog is sent via newsletter, which isn't anything at all like the typical newsletter). The outpouring of support was unbelievable. That's what happens when business owners take the time to connect with their customers. On an emotional level. 

His latest update landed in my inbox last week. The subject line: Will Kick Butt Close Its Doors?

Thomas always crafts clever headlines to get you to open his stuff and I was praying this was another of those instances. After reading, I realized it wasn't. He shared that although sales at his existing location rose by 20% after closing the other location, Kick Butt Coffee still isn't profitable. 

If you've been following my blog, you know I'm no stranger to financial struggles. Some will criticize Thomas and I for airing our dirty laundry and others will admire our honesty. 

If people don't know what's wrong, they can't do anything to help make things right. When Thomas posted the news on Facebook, feedback and suggestions started flying all over the place. If we, his customers, want his doors to remain open - we have to know what's going on so we can do our part to keep him in business. I started brainstorming last night on ways to make that happen. 

Thomas can't sit around waiting for his caffeinated cohorts to spring into action. He has to do his part. And that he did by calling on his mentor. That's something I still haven't found. The right person - who's accessible  - who not only understands my vision and goals, but has accomplished them his/herself. 

Will Kick Butt be around for another five years? Will I finally get that big media break I've been looking for? 

I'm no fortune teller, but I believe a breakthrough is on the way...for Thomas and I both. I can feel it. 

Click here to read Kick Butt's story.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share Your Thoughts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...