4.10.2011

Email Confession: I Hit Rock Bottom

"Dear Donna,

I went to your website, and just wanted to tell you I love what you've done!

I have been out of work since December 2007. I was not eligible for unemployment because I worked as an independent contractor at my previous position. Since then I started organizing events and went back to what I know to earn some sort of income. Everything has been slowing going downhill for the past 2 years. I hit rock bottom about a month ago.

I moved to Denver from San Diego for a job that I landed by doing an event there in January. The job has yet to start, and since I have no money coming in, despite so much work, and no where to live I am now in Austin.

I want to really maximize my time here, and rebuild my life. I've lost my car, my home, and to some degree a bit of pride. Which is not necessarily a bad thing. I most definitely needed a wake up call and needed to ask for help.

Anyway, you and I will chat soon, and I look forward to meeting you sometime soon...thank you for everything you're doing, it is truly an inspiration!"


WHAT I KNOW ABOUT ROCK BOTTOM:

  • Once you get there, the only way you can go is up - if you so choose. Some decide to stay there and make excuses and others will use it as motivation to claw and scratch their way back up.

  • You can get the material stuff back. To date, I've lost 2.5 cars and one house. Don't lose your character or determination. I haven't.

  • There are millions of other people in the same situation. Someone is reading this right now wishing they had the strength to share their story. I hope they've been inspired to do so.

3 comments:

  1. Gee, this story sounds familiar. It hits so close to home that I could have written it myself.

    Keep holding on. I'm living proof that it does get better. And then you'll look back and think, "That was only 'x' years out of my life. It sure felt like a lot more."

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know what else, Lisa? When you think about the things you've already overcome and say, "If I made it through that, I can make it through anything!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. charlie6/24/2012

    I'm sorry, unemployment is truly awful and degrades a persons entire self worth, and leaves far too much for thinking too.

    ReplyDelete

Share Your Thoughts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...