12.15.2011

Email Confession: I Want MORE

"Hello!
I found your blog quite by accident awhile back, and although I’m not a daily reader, I really appreciate what you’ve accomplished. I think I remember seeing one of your blogs some time ago that addressed how you submitted articles to magazines and what you went through. My question to you is – can you direct me to that blog again, or give a gal some help in that area? I want to submit an article to MORE Magazine – I’ve never been published before since I write primarily for myself, but I have a story I think would be so interesting to middle-age women needing a change, and MORE caters to women in my age group. Thanks! BSW"

*********************

Hey BSW!

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my blog. I appreciate it. Yes, you did read where I shared my experiences with getting articles published.

Congratulations for taking the initiative to reach out to MORE. It may take a couple of tries before you get someone's attention, but don't give up. Be prepared to possibly having your content published online vs. in the print publication. I actually prefer digital because your stuff stays on the internet forever.
When you send your pitch to the editor, be sure to tell them how their readers will benefit from your piece. What will they gain/learn? What void are you filling? If you have a compelling story, tell it, but be brief.

Here's their Media Kit - look over it. Let them know which audience(s) you're going to reach. I hope this helps. Wishing you much success and shoot me a link to your article once it's published.

Hugs & Handshakes,
Miss Donna

ASK AND YOU SHALL RECEIVE
  • doesn't matter if you've visited one time or one-hundred, I'll do my best to answer your questions
  • if there's someplace I can send you for more information, I'll share that too (here's a great post about the scary truth of getting media coverage)
  • something on your mind?! let me know. send a note to info@donnaljohnson.com. let's keep the conversation going!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share Your Thoughts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...