5.31.2011

Stairway to Success - AMBITION

This is the second post in the Stairway to Success series.  
CLICK HERE to see my thoughts about Confidence and the quote that started it all.

AMBITION

(n) -  1. an ardent desire for rank, fame, or power  2. desire to achieve a particular end

When I look at the second definition of the word, one particular story comes to mind. It was last year when I made an audition video to compete in a reality contest to become a tv talk show host on Oprah's new network. I stayed up for hours on end rallying people to vote and I shamelessly admit I spent a good bit of time voting for myself.

Why? The desire to achieve a particular end.

Obviously I didn't win, but that experience was liberating for me. There couldn't be a better way to announce to the world you feel worthy of having your own tv show. I made up my mind that if I was ever going to work for someone other than myself again or start a new career, I'd have the title of Television Personality.

You find yourself unfulfilled because the thing you're doing and the path you're on is one that doesn't excite you. You haven't identified what the particular end looks like. Fear has shown up and choked the life out of you. It leaves you feeling like there's no end in sight.

The people who achieve success are no different from you. I know you've heard that a gazillion times. But when was the last time you heard it from someone who was in the pursuit process right along with you? How many times has someone shared with you they're down to their last $100 dollars and despite that, they're determined not to give up?

You have to boldly confess your confidence and get past what others think about your desired end. It's your end, not theirs. Yours may not mirror mine, but I sincerely believe it's equally as important and meaningful.

Get off the treadmill to Complacentville. You've been walking (or in some cases running) in place gaining mileage and going nowhere long enough. Ask yourself this one question:

What would I do if I weren't afraid of being judged?

Envision that place for a minute. See yourself happy, surrounded by people who want success for you as bad as you want it for yourself. What will you do before you go to bed tonight to help get you there?

3 comments:

  1. Love this post Donna! I'm on Tyler Perry's email list. And awhile ago one of his emails was talking about keeping your dreams. He said that for EIGHT years no one came to see his shows! Eight years girl! But he didn't give up and look where that man is now! He also said that God gave YOU your dreams and not your family and friends. So when they are telling to give it up or that you won't succeed, remember God spoke to you and not them. Amen? Amen!
    Kenyatta Rodriguez

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yatta - I'm not a big movie goer and have never seen a Tyler Perry movie in the theater, but I love him - as an individual! His story is unbelievable. I can relate to just about every aspect of his journey, especially his eight year wait for an audience. Yes maam - Amen!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this post Donna! I'm on Tyler Perry's email list. And awhile ago one of his emails was talking about keeping your dreams. He said that for EIGHT years no one came to see his shows! Eight years girl! But he didn't give up and look where that man is now! He also said that God gave YOU your dreams and not your family and friends. So when they are telling to give it up or that you won't succeed, remember God spoke to you and not them. Amen? Amen!
    Kenyatta Rodriguez

    ReplyDelete

Share Your Thoughts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...