5.14.2012

STIR-TRY: Black Bean Chili Bowl

This wasn't meant to be a blog post. But when I snapped the picture to share on Facebook and it turned out pretty good - it became a blog post. 

It has been a while since I cooked for you. Although I don't consider this cooking really. I made something using one pot and a rice cooker. We all know cooking consists of using all the burners on the stove - simultaneously - along with the oven and possibly a George Foreman grill or the equivalent. All at the same time. 

When The Girl was little, she had a friend whose mom would make taco soup every time she spent the night at their house. It got to the point where I think my child wanted to go over there just so she could have taco soup. 

Fast forward to present time. My friend Wendi had a Christmas get together at her place last year. Guess what she had?! Umm hhmmm. Taco soup. And I did what I always do - forced Baby Daddy to pack some to go. If anybody gets talked about for walking outta people's houses with paper plates and aluminum foil - it'll be him. Not me. 

The recipe Wendi gave me was so simple I didn't even have to write it down. The first time I fixed it, I served it with Fritos corn chips like she did. Not a leftover in sight. 

The second time around I decided to do something different. 


Umm hhmmm.. I served it over rice. 

When The Boy saw his plate, he yelled to his sister, "Hurry! Come eat...mom made Chipotle!"

A few months ago, someone I follow on twitter tweeted the recipe for Kraft's Cheesy Chili Soup. I searched diligently for her blog post so I could credit her accordingly (I even commented on her post), but I can't find anything and I don't remember who it was. 

Mine is closer to Paula Deen's Taco Soup recipe. With modifications and omissions, of course. 

  • I use black beans instead of pinto beans. I forgot kidney beans all together when I made it last week and nobody died as a result. 
  • I only use 1 can of stewed diced tomatoes. The garlic and onion kind. DelMonte brand I think.
  • I skip the olives and ranch seasoning. 
  • I don't have time for all those garnishings like Paula does...just scoop some guacamole on top to add color and make it pretty. 
  • Don't feel compelled to crockpot it. It works in a regular pot too and cooks much faster. 
So there you have it. Another recipe

You're welcome. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share Your Thoughts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...