1.19.2011

TEACHER FRAUD

The idea for this post came to me a couple of days ago, but I have to thank Tawana Necole (@CorporateChic on twitter) for sharing this quote:

"One of the prerequisites for being a teacher is having to live the experiences you teach..." ~Maya Angelou

I don't know your interpretation of it, but for me it means if you haven't done it - you aren't qualified to teach it. Not everyone feels the same way and it's evident by the number of people I see misrepresenting and overstating their expertise.

Why do I have my nose in other people's business? Simply because I'm in the business of helping other people, personally and professionally.

When it's time for you to decide who you'll choose to help you along your journey, I want you to be the most educated and informed consumer you can be. Doesn't matter if you choose to do business with me or not. 

Would you go to a doctor who has "doctor friends", but doesn't have a license to practice medicine?

Would you hire an attorney who sits at home watching Judge Judy and has never passed the bar exam?

Would you let the lego champion of the world build your dream home?
  
When it comes to major life-decisions like these, you wouldn't give these self-proclaimed experts the time of day. Now think for a minute about other decisions you make. How quick are you to sign on with someone without checking to make sure they're on the up-and-up?

As much as I love the internet and the convenience and opportunities it affords me, it's also a breeding ground for unethical predators. With just a few keystrokes and a domain name, someone can hang their virtual shingle and conjure up whatever it is they want to be.

Do your homework. Ask questions. Validate credibility and make an informed decision.

If the bestseller book coach has never written a bestselling book, how can he/she teach you to do it?

If the media maven only has a YouTube channel, can she really help with your publicity campaign and land you on the local news?

If the brand strategist is re-emerging with a new identity a couple of times a year, should you really trust them with defining your personal brand?

As Nikki and I were putting together the content for our class she said, "Donna, you can talk about making money with your blog." Sorry, but no I can't. Well I could, but it would be a total lie. Yeah, I could've easily done a few internet searches on the topic and threw together a few bullet points of bullsh** and you probably wouldn't have been none the wiser. Unless you - the educated and  informed consumer - would've done your homework and asked questions.

There's no dollar amount worth risking my reputation. I want people to work with me based on my merits. That's the same reason why people want to work with you.

Skip the lies and fluff. Stick to what you know - whatever it is - do it to the best of your abilities and don't compromise on integrity. This is how you become the cream of the crop.





Photo credit: sskbmorgan

3 comments:

  1. Donna,

    This is great. It seems everyone is a coach or mentor of some sort these days. I have avoided labeling myself as either because it has become trite. I hope you don't mind but I blogged this to my blog.

    Jude

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Jude. I knew it would resonate with people. I appreciate you sharing the post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Donna,

    This is great. It seems everyone is a coach or mentor of some sort these days. I have avoided labeling myself as either because it has become trite. I hope you don't mind but I blogged this to my blog.

    Jude

    ReplyDelete

Share Your Thoughts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...