1.05.2011

Marezer.com Hijacked My Computer

With a headline like this, it may not live up to its promise as being the world's only reliable newspaper, but if you're one of the humans like me who has suffered from a computer virus, you know what a devastating toll it can have on you.

My desktop pc was infected Monday night with the marezer.com antivirus scan malware. Surfing the web was impossible. I couldn't get to any sites - not here, not Facebook, not twitter, not nothing!



I kept getting annoying pop-ups telling me my computer was infected and even when I tried to 'X' out of the box (I knew better than to click on YES or NO to allow the fake virus scan to run), my browser would be immediately directed here:


This appears to be antivirus protection software, but believe me it's not.

Using my laptop, I googled: 'how to remove marezer.com' and kept coming up with different sites that offered sketchy instructions followed by software that was available to purchase. Not an option for me at the moment. As I started reading through some of it, I noticed the sites consistently referenced that removing malezer.com manually wasn't easy and often didn't work.

I refined my search to: 'how to manually remove malware' and that's when I hit the jackpot! I found a ten minute YouTube video that literally saved my life.

CLICK HERE to see it.

The website the young man in the video uses is: http://www.malwarebytes.org/
He walks you through step-by-step. My technical skills are sub-beginner, but if I managed to do it anyone can.

I had over 170 threats and all were removed in less than 30 minutes. I even downloaded malwarebytes a second time just to be on the safe side and it detected one additional threat.

It works. Try it for yourself.



Photo credit: TedRheingold

3 comments:

  1. It's True!It really works. Malwarebytes is AWESOME! I have used it too many times to count, most recently over the Christmas holiday. I keep the short-cut on my desktop.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never seen anything like this, Elizabeth - especially for free. I left a comment on the YouTube video thanking him for sharing his resources.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's True!It really works. Malwarebytes is AWESOME! I have used it too many times to count, most recently over the Christmas holiday. I keep the short-cut on my desktop.

    ReplyDelete

Share Your Thoughts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...