1.25.2011

Fearless Fee Setting


I've been told by three different people over the past week that they couldn't afford my services. One person told me my hourly coaching rate was, "a little much", and two others said my speaking workshop was too expensive.

My response to all three: Ok!

Will the two ladies who emailed me join my group? I doubt it.

Am I bothered by it? Nope.

Am I going to change anything? Absolutely not. My rates are my rates and they're non-negotiable.



In the past, fear would've made me react differently. I would've immediately tried to figure something out so I could get the client. I would've told the ladies they could attend the first meeting for free.

But here's what I had to realize: Everyone won't be able to afford me. As a matter of fact, I want to weed out the people who can't, freeing me up to focus on those who can.

I know what it's like to want to work with someone and not have the money to hire them. This is not the same as having the money, but choosing to spend it otherwise. You know - like going shoe shopping and then saying you can't afford personal/professional development.

People pay for the things they want to pay for. If someone truly wants to buy your product or service, they'll figure out a way to do it. But what they won't do is complain that you're too expensive.



Photo credit: Coastline Windows

7 comments:

  1. Amen Donna. Years ago, I had a JC Penney Salesman who made $8/hour pay to come see one of our senior career coaches. I'll never forget that and how clear he was that this was well-worth his hard earned money. Thanks for owning your power and inspiring others to do the same!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jan & Renee. I appreciate you taking the time to read and engage.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some of my most dedicated clients have been the ones who needed to stretch themselves financially to afford my services. They took ownership for themselves and their situations, both financially and with their births. Inspiring to witness, and empowering for clients.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Indeed, Darlene - both inspiring and empowering.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Jan & Renee. I appreciate you taking the time to read and engage.

    ReplyDelete

Share Your Thoughts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...