7.05.2012

Warning: Abnormal Blogger Ahead

I had a birthday last week and you know what that means. A gazillion happy birthday wishes via Facebook. I make it a point to read and say thank you to every single one.

As I was scrolling through, there were a few that stuck out and made me laugh. In particular, the one from my friend Shonika. She included every possible thing she knew about me when outlining how I should celebrate. 

On the list: hot wings, martinis, and a gift card to a discount shopping store. 

How could someone I've only met in real life one time know so much about me? Occasionally we talk business on the phone, but is it normal for someone to know your favorite food and drink AND shopping habits merely from having an online relationship with you?!

It is if that's the kind of stuff you share - publicly without shame

At first, I hid behind a boring "professional" personality. Think 'corporate America online profile' filled with fancy jargon that doesn't mean jack to the rest of the world. I was that. I mean, that's still a part of who I am and always will be, but the truth of the matter is - there's so much more to Miss Donna. 

When I started talking about other things - the fun stuff, my likes, pet peeves, and dreams - that's when my blogging voice come alive. It was at that point I started to get emails and comments from readers sharing their stories as a result of me opening up. Richer relationships developed. I felt like my writing  was more meaningful. Its purpose went beyond pageviews.

You aren't perfect. You remind yourself every time you point to your flaws. 

Instead of looking down on yourself, allow your imperfections to work to your advantage.



I incorporate all of the weird, nerdy, "not normal" habits and hang-ups my family complains about into a memorable and relatable brand. 

I'm self-diagnosed with mild-to-moderate OCD and proud of it dammit! My blogging and coffee addictions don't need an intervention. If I'd rather watch reruns on CNBC instead of going bowling - don't knock it! 

Boldly embrace all of you. Own your authentic self - the good, the bad, and the ugly.

I'm late to the party. Tea invited me to her Word Carnival ages ago, so when I needed a topic to write about today, I knew just where to go for inspiration.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share Your Thoughts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...