3.12.2012

Niche Blogging: Does it Really Pay?

When I reviewed Holly's eBook, I let the cat out of the bag and told you I'm working on another blog. Since January I've been behind the scenes planning, researching, and developing content. I'm shooting for an official launch date in April and it looks like I'm going to make it. 

It's not uncommon for bloggers to have more than one blog. Particularly those who blog for a living. It makes total sense if you're looking at blogging as a business. Multiple blogs equals multiple streams of income. I'd been going back and forth with starting another blog, but reading Can You Make (real) Money Blogging? got me to take action.

I can't speak for everyone, but here's why this new project works for me:
  • No Niche: This blog doesn't have one. I enjoy being able to write about whatever I want to write about on any given day. But with everything I've read from folks who are successfully monetizing their blogs, their first piece of advice is to find a niche. I asked myself three questions: (1) What could I write about without getting bored?  (2) Is this topic something I can expand upon in the future? (3) Since there are a gazillion people blogging about this subject, how can I make my blog different? One blogger suggested staying away from over-saturated niches. I say, if you can bring something unique to the table - add value to what exists and fill a void - go for it. No two blogs are the same. 
  • Experimenting with Risks: I'm a risk taker. No doubt about it. The new blog will be somewhat of an experiment for me. I'm putting the niche advice to the test AND opening myself up to alot more criticism in the process. There's a love-hate relationship with bloggers in this particular arena and it gets worse when you're paid. The sellout factor increases dramatically. Those who blog for fun simply can't understand why you're accepting compensation and they don't have a problem voicing their opinions. You get to be a part of the experiment. I'm going to share what I'm doing and take you with me on the money making journey. I'm sure there'll be lots of lessons learned along the way. 
  • Positioning for Long-Term Goals: While making money with this blog is high on my list of priorities, the blog will serve another purpose. By focusing on this one area and sharing my expertise (yes, I just sinned by calling myself an expert), this will give me the opportunity for more media exposure. I haven't stopped chasing the tv personality dream and I won't stop until I get there. 
When I go live, you'll hear about it first - right here. Thank you for giving me a platform and challenging me to evolve.

Oh yeah...if you have any advice, I'd love to hear it and if I can answer any questions - let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share Your Thoughts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...