8.20.2012

AT&T Penalizes Customers For Saving

While talking to my friend Linda last week, she mentioned she was going to call her home phone provider to have one of her features removed. We both have AT&T. I hadn't called them in a while to see what promotions they were offering, which would in turn lower my bill. Last time I did this I ended up saving 50% on internet service

Here's what happened when I called this past weekend:

$17 MONTHLY SAVINGS

Following Linda's lead, I cut back on the feature I no longer needed. In my case, it was long distance. It makes absolutely no sense when I have unlimited calling anywhere in the U.S. on my cell phone. 

My monthly plan went from $47 down to $30. 

There weren't any deals going on with internet service so I couldn't cut that cost, but believe me - I asked!

Here's what else happened:

$9.50 FEE FOR DOWNGRADING

They charged me for saving money. Can you believe that?!

I was penalized for getting rid of a service I didn't need. I don't know if this service fee was applied and explained when Linda changed her plan, but this type of stuff is something we should all be aware of as consumers. 

No matter what's happening with the economy and job market, companies are going to ensure they continue to get paid. One way or another. This is a prime example. 

It didn't cost AT&T one red cent to process the change in my plan. And likewise, had I called to upgrade my service, thus putting more money in their pockets, they would've thanked me for being a loyal customer and sent me on my merry way. 

Eliminating my landline all together isn't an option right now. It's still a necessity. Just because I have to have it, that doesn't mean I want to pay an arm and a leg for it. 

Thanks, AT&T, for the awesome customer experience. 

I owe you. No really. I owe you for this one. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share Your Thoughts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...