5.31.2010

Confessions of a Paid Speaker: Getting Booked Without a Demo Video

Have you put off starting your speaking business because you don’t have a demo video? Are you a new speaker who can’t afford to hire a professional videographer? A short video of you on your website is one of the best ways to market your talent and expertise. A five to seven minute clip adds instant credibility and in some cases, will set you apart from other speakers in your field.

I’ve been a paid speaker since 2006. I’ve spoken at major conferences and educational and financial institutions but yet, there’s no promotional video of me anywhere on my website. Since we’re being honest with each other, I may as well admit that I didn’t have my own YouTube channel until the summer of 2009. Had I listened to those who told me (for my own good I might add!) I wouldn’t be taken seriously as a result of not having footage of me presenting live, my aspirations of speaking and teaching would not have materialized.

Just as with anything you desire to have and/or achieve in life, always remember: where there’s a will there’s a way. Your career as a public speaker shouldn’t be put on hold because you don’t have thousands of dollars to shoot and produce cinema-grade videos. For an investment of less than $300, you can purchase an easy to use hand held video camera along with a tripod and learn to master DIY videography. Once you’ve gotten footage of yourself in action you can then pay a trusted professional to edit the film and add a bit of flash.

In addition to giving meeting planners a taste of what to expect when they book you for their next event, video is also a great way to deliver valuable content, establish an internet presence, and grow your audience. Public speaking can be incorporated into any business model and provides an additional revenue stream to boost your bottom line.
 
 
 
Photo credit: cisco

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share Your Thoughts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...