12.30.2009

I Hired Me

It was one year and five months ago that I lost my full-time job in management. I was fired. Not let go, not downsized, but fired. It was absolutely one of the happiest days of my life. I was miserable, but didn't have the courage to quit. I'm really thankful for God working that all out for me.

I'd been marketing and growing my speaking business on the side and was thrilled that I'd be able to focus on it more. That was then - this is now.

I've spent the past seventeen months spinning my wheels and have come full circle. I've met alot of wonderful people, both offline and through social media and have learned so many valuable things. I wouldn't trade the challenges, obstacles, and tears for anything, as this has truly been a learning experience.

As I enter 2010 and beyond, I'm holding tight to the positive experiences that 2009 showed me. I'm laser focused on what I want and have a relentless drive to not stop until I get it. It won't happen overnight, but I'm committed for the long haul. Each day I look for others to share my experiences with in hopes of making their journey a little less difficult. I understand that we each have to endure our own set of life experiences to get us from where we are to where we want to be and I encourage you to embrace every minute of it.

I'm here for you AND with you every step of the way. Together, we can make it happen. We've come too far to turn back now. No matter what you do, giving up is not an option. Get clear and keep moving forward.

What's your story? I'd love to hear it.


Photo credit: orangemoonapparel

2 comments:

  1. eliseconnors9/08/2011

    I know this is an older article, but I'm fully submerged in the freelancing lifestyle. Like you, I was fired from my 9-5, but unlike you, I wasn't building a business on the side. On April 26, 2010, I had to go home and tell my husband that I had lost my job (or rather, my job told me to get lost *wink*). I felt defeated. I felt confused. I felt ashamed. After all, who wants to hire someone who wears the career equivalent of the "scarlet letter"? I never imagined how difficult it would be to explain that you were fired on an interview, and everytime the words left my mouth, I knew all my chances were blown. Regardless of how likeable I was, how personable I was, how passionate I seemed about the work, I felt like I would never be able to get another job again.

    I felt so hopeless until the day I re-discovered the world of working as a freelancer/independent contractor/etc. Now I know I will never turn back. I can never fire myself. I will never have to interview myself and most important, I will never take away my own freedoms.

    Thank you for posting this so long ago - it was very timely and I hope others learn from it before they are "hung out to dry".

    ReplyDelete
  2. the one good thing about blog posts, Elise, is that they don't have expiration dates. i welcome your thoughts and stories on anything i've written at any time. happy to hear you didn't allow your situation to define you as a person. you've reinvented yourself and are doing things on your own terms. please do stop back by again!

    ReplyDelete

Share Your Thoughts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...