10.09.2010

The Unemployed Entrepreneur®: The Evolution Begins

 

This interview was done in March 2009 and was the second one I'd done with the local news. The first was a few months earlier in November 2008, where I shared my story about overcoming foreclosure. I didn't hire a PR firm and wouldn't have done so even if I could've afforded it. Instead, I sat down and taught myself how to pitch the media.

Media outlets report on newsworthy information and during this time, unemployment and the foreclosure crisis was in the news daily. Like millions of others, I'd been impacted by both.

The angle of the FOX 7 interview was to shed light on the upside of losing your job. I wanted people to know that unemployment wasn't the end of the world, but the beginning of reinventing yourself as someone you've always wanted to be or the opportunity to just try something new all together. Bottom line: it's gonna be whatever you make it - good or bad, but regardless -  it's not going to be easy. So since tough times were ahead (believe me, I've had my fair share between now and then), I decided to face them doing something I actually enjoyed and the idea of helping a few folks along the way excited me.

The Unemployed Entrepreneur® was born in May 2009 (I borrowed the money from my uncle to trademark the name).

So much has happened over the last couple of years and I've shared some of it here on my blog. I founded a women's entrepreneur group, started writing for Forbes, and recently became a radio host. And while I've been transparent about certain aspects of my life and business, I must admit that I haven't been that forthcoming in regards to the stuff that isn't so pleasant - the bad days, disappointments, and struggles.

From this point on, I'm really an open book. Not for the sake of airing my dirty laundry, but simply because life isn't always a cake walk and the challenges are also a part of the journey. I believe deep down in the innermost crevices of my heart that I'll reach all of my goals, my dreams will be fulfilled, and my brand will evolve into something bigger than I've even imagined for myself.

So many times we hear a person's story of trials and tribulations after they've made a name for themselves (Paula Deen and Tyler Perry immediately come to mind). We don't get the opportunity to experience it first hand as things are unfolding...until now.

This is my success story in the making. We'll find out how it ends together.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share Your Thoughts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...